Cradle My Heart Radio welcomes Briana Stensrud from Focus on the Family
Briana Stensrud is Focus on the Family’s Director of Sanctity of Life and Community Care Department and she joins us to talk about #ShoutYourAbortion on Twitter.
The hashtag was started in September by activists Lindy West, Amelia Bonow and Kimberly Morrison as a response to calls for defunding Planned Parenthood.
Huffington Post’s report included a sample of representative tweets like this one:
In recent weeks women responded to a call to be vocal about abortion with tweets like the following:
– “I’m not sorry for my abortion,” and “My abortion was in ’10 & the career I’ve built since then fulfills me and makes me better able to care for the kids I have now.”
– “I’ve had 2 abortions. I don’t have to justify or explain them to anybody. My life is more valuable than a potential life. #ShoutYourAbortion”
The NY Times reported that Bonow had to leave her home after her address was published in the backlash against the trend. She later clarified that she received no threats but simply didn’t feel safe after the loss of privacy. I can hardly blame her. This should not be about personalities.
The prolife response to the conversation featured personal tweets such as:
– “The only people who can #ShoutYourAbortion are the ones who weren’t aborted. This is an incomplete dialogue.”
– “#ShoutYourAbortion ?! I would rather shout the joy that my daughter has brought to my life! I chose life as a 19 yr old mom! #stronger”
– “I was going to be aborted but luckily my mother chose life! She was only 17 and gave me all I ever needed. #ShoutYourAbortion”
And political messages as well:
So how should we respond and/or participate in a way that proclaims truth while modeling grace and love? Briana will analyze the dialogue, and share the hope that Focus and its pro-life partners bring to women who have experienced abortion.
She will also share about Evangelicals for Life, a pro-life conference sponsored by Focus and the ERLC that will be taking place in Washington, DC, during the March for Life in January.
If you have already had an abortion, please know that I wrote Cradle My Heart, Finding God’s Love After Abortion just for you. Throughout its pages you will find affirmation and hope from the Scriptures. You may also browse a list of resources for help and healing. The Good News is that you are forgiven in Jesus’ Name and you will be welcomed into fellowship as you seek your restoration. If you are pregnant and need free, confidential help call 1-800-712-HELP. If you’ve had an abortion and need safe, private confidential help call 1-866-482-LIFE.